Client: City of London Corporation
John Robertson Architects has completed the re-cladding of Great Arthur House for the City of London Corporation, a Grade II listed landmark, part of the Golden Lane Estate designed by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon and completed in 1956. Influenced by the work of Le Corbusier, the design of the Estate was regarded from the outset as a model of social integration with early tenants including doctors, police officers, secretaries, cleaners and caretakers – with an emphasis on one bedroom flats for single people and couples. The new cladding replicates the delicate extruded profiles of the original 1950’s facade, together with the distinctive use of yellow glass. The new facade improves the performance of the original windows with a double glazed and thermally insulated prefabricated panel system. The project involved extensive consultation with the City Planners, 20th Century Society and Leaseholders and tenants.